Cob: resistance/new guy

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Tue Nov 13 23:17:36 CST 2001

Lance wrote:

> Darel:
>     She's a real conformist, to make it brief. She would, for example, if
> she even knew what a cob house was, and refer to it as a mud hut.
> Lance

The word "hut" indicates a smaller structure.  Bricks are made out of
so-called mud and possibly straw.  Is she against these earthen bricks?
As I recall, of the three little piggies' houses, the earthen brick
house was the strongest.

Does she prefer stick houses made of wood can and will rot, burn easily,
and/or be eaten by termites better?  Usually stick houses use, gypsum
boards, which is made of a mineral consisting of the hydrous sulphate of
lime (calcium). When calcined, it forms plaster of Paris.  A kind of
earth material that's been processed.  So even in the stick houses
almost all of the interior walls are made of an earthen mineral.  The
common 2x4 stick houses are like a hollow wall house.

 Outside covering + typically 3 1/2" insulation between studs + gypsum
board.
 That's about it. This kind of construction is found to burn very well.

I agree with an earlier writer who suggested that you actually show her
someplace.

If she's the type of woman who has to have designer labels or other
group approved items, though you will probably face a tough battle.
Since it's not reason but, acceptance by others that she seeks.

Darel