Cob: New to this list and the idea of cob

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Tue Dec 4 21:10:04 CST 2001

Bamboo can be used for this application to connect the seperated walls.

Traditionally bamboo is tied into a matrix pattern ###, with hemp string
and attached between load bearing posts, and then cobbed with a clayish
mud which contains one week to three month fermented rice straw
cuttings.  A few of the bamboo pieces are actuall stuck into holes made
into the posts to hold the made framework in place.   The straw cuttings
are aged together with the clay-earth.  Doing this is said to provide
advantages in strength and less shrinkage later when drying and the
earth and straw bond together better after being aged together.  The
straw fibers are softer then to to help in applying the mud.

So bamboo has precedent for being used in this fashion, like a wattle
and daub, and can be considered as a material that can be used.

They stryofoam, would not need to be in the center and would be better
place near the outside, except for the south facing portions of cob
wall.

But, better than styofoam and perhaps cheaper, and more likely more
durable is light clay using straw or wood chips.  This could probably
just be keyed onto a cob wall.  You could have bamboo atttachments to
the wall speciaclly to hold onto the light clay outer portion.  It would
need to be watter proofed somehow, perhaps with a lime plaster.

Darel