Cob: Re: code cob Bella Cola

dtebb dtebb at alternatives.com
Fri Dec 7 03:27:54 CST 2001

Yes, here in Canada, building permits don't seem to be as enforced on First
Nations land (reserves), not because it is sovereign territory as we would
wish, but because reservations are under the control of the federal
government. Things are a lot more relaxed on the reserves. Great for cob,
but housing is substandard and run-down on many reserves. Many First
Nations have also gone into debt over housing. Canadian Mortgage and
Housing Corporation and others build crappy homes, the people pay a type of
rent or mortgage, but since there is little work and money on reserves,
many people have gone into debt. The band councils (under govt control), in
some cases have forced people out of homes when they cannot pay. Control of
housing has become a means by which both govt instituted band councils and
the Canadian govt. may control particular individuals, usually those
opposed to the power structure whether internal or external, such as
traditionalists and sovereigntists.

It was within this reality that Charlie Nelson, A young and progressive
hereditary chief wanted to try building with cob. He thought it may offer a
building alternative that was accessible, easy to build and possibly
cheaper than CMHC and perhaps a way for some to get out from under the
control of Government housing.

Ian