Cob: RE: code cob - building permits

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Mon Dec 17 12:01:43 CST 2001

My mommy always told me: Two wrongs Don't make a right.

Pat
www.gypsyfarm.com

-----Original Message-----
From: j. gann [mailto:jmygann at yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2001 12:00 PM
To: Darel Henman; cob list
Subject: Cob: code cob - building permits

Will check into the code about insulation.
 As far as soil content, it appears my soil would only
need a small amount of sand which is readily
available.
 The real issue which has been discussed a lot lately
is code approval. I have talked to several building
departments and here is my understanding.
 The counties will let you build out of anything if it
is engineered assuming it meets zoning, sanitation
etc. It must meet or equal the minimum code for shear,
load, seizmic,wind, etc. The engineer must show
calculations to support this. In other words it is up
to the builder/owner to prove it with scientific data.
NO Problem IF you have lots of MONEY !
 This situation faces a lot of people wanting to build
their own home or use alternative materials and/or
methods.
  The other side is : The county officials who were
elected by the voting residents have been given the
responsibility to oversee building safety and health.
Plus, due to lawsuits against the county (taxpayers) ,
the county must cover its liability by
referring/deferring it  to a licenced engineer.