Cob: Athens, GA

JudyofGA at aol.com JudyofGA at aol.com
Thu Dec 20 12:03:10 CST 2001

Hi Everybody,

We're new to the cob list too and this is my first posting, although I did
write Sabrina once I read her posting.  Well, guess what?  We're currently in
Lawrenceville, GA, about 45 minutes from Athens, and are very, very
interested in cob.  I'm originally from Athens, born and raised there, so I
know the area really well.  I agree that Clarke County, where the city of
Athens actually is, is probably not a good bet as far as expecting the
building inspectors to just jump right on the cob concept with intense
enthusiasm but some of the surroundings counties like Madison, Barrow,
Jefferson, Oglethorpe or Banks hold more hope, not to mention far lower land
prices and property taxes.  For those of you on the list who are not familiar
with this area, Athens is a great little college town in Northeast Georgia
that is surrounded by quite a few basically rural counties.  It's about an
hour's commute to Atlanta.  All of these rural areas around here still have
plenty of the old "Feed & Seed" type stores still around so getting things
like straw bales and dump trucks of dirt shouldn't be much of a problem.  If
they can't do it, most of the folks who work at these places know who can.

I'm very encouraged by all this interest in the Georgia area in the cob
concept.  If enough of us express interest, one of these counties is going to
eventually take the whole idea seriously and begin to work with us instead of
against us, so let's all try to stay in touch on here and maybe we can make
some progress and somebody can actually get something built.  I was also
thrilled to see the postings about some proposed cob units at Tullalah Gorge
(a perfect place for it) and the one being built in Middle Georgia.  There's
a lot of interest and activity in this area so we all have a lot of hope.

By the way, my husband is just now finishing up a cob dog house with a thatch
roof in the back yard that's holding up really well.  He basically just mixed
some of our good old Georgia red clay that he dug up in the back yard with
some sand and some straw and experimented with it until he felt like he got
the right texture.  First, he made a brick out it and just let it sit in the
sun and the rain for a few months to see how well it would hold up, which was
surprisingly well since it wasn't even limestoned.  Very little of it washed
away.   Then, he started on the dog house which is almost done.  We don't
actually have a dog to use it but if we get one, looks like he'll have a
pretty cool little house to sleep in.

Judy in Georgia