Cob: Cob plaster on a conventional wall!

Ocean ocean at peacemaking.org
Thu Jan 3 02:28:22 CST 2002

Hey, all!

Checking in from Corvallis...

Regarding plastering conventional housing, for the restaurant we are doing
one wall with a cob plaster bas relief mural, and we just nailed up plaster
lath (extruded metal) over the wall's sheathing and then trowelled on a
simple plaster of red clay, sand and chopped straw.  The plaster on the stud
wall seems to be holding very well.

We sieved pureed clay through a 1/4 inch mesh, and chopped the straw with a
rented chipper/shredder.  The shredder turned one 100 pound bale into about
250 gallons of chopped straw (5 huge bags).  We're also using the same
plaster on the garden wall, about 140 feet long.  We mix the plaster in
large quantities with an electric cement mixer, a ratio of 1 bucket pureed
clay, four buckets concrete sand, 1 bucket chopped straw.  The metal lath
was purchased from the local cement products store, but maybe chicken wire
would work as well.

We'll be posting a website for the restaurant soon, with lots of pictures.
But for now, I've got to get back to the project.  Hey, Kiko has built the
biggest cob oven ever!  Wait till you see this thing!

Peace and Blessings,
Ocean