Cob: Re: AD MMII

SANCO Enterprises, LLC chansey at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 3 06:42:33 CST 2002

Lootvik wrote:

> Hi Paul!
> That 'sync' bit is a little ambiguous so I'll just let it rest.
>
> Are there any new poured adobe/automated cob/strawbale/cargo container
> stories to tell?

Here's a short recap-------------

Had two new additions to the family in November, Rusty and Tina.  My wife is
really excited about having them---they're beautiful chocolate lab pups.

The container house received it's CO and Kevin is now an "authorized"
occupant.  He landscaped a little too.  He wore himself out on this
project--he said he wouldn't do it again.  Talked to the building inspector
about the "container house" when I took out a building permit for my garage
and pantry room.  He said, " I'm glad it's over"---l left well enough alone.

I thought I'd be all by myself in Unit 20 of Rio Rancho for a few years,
however I now have 3 homes on the same street.  A temp power pole/meter just
got installed across the street on Dec 31, so there goes another one.  The
subdivision that was planned just a block away is now a reality,  large
homes, paved streets, sewers and all the other goodies.  There goes the
neighborhood.

In September I acquired another 2 acres (4 lots ) just across from one of
the new subdivision homes.  The heirs (5 brothers & sisters) in Bend, WI had
no interest in the property and were 4 years in arrears on taxes.  Really
hurt to put out the $268.59 for taxes to acquire the property and all that
new construction going on, it may take a while before someone wants to buy
that worthless property from me..

The "cob-mobile" was fired up on Jan 1, 2002 just to make sure it was ready
to go.  Got involved in a discussion with Leonard Jones, PE, and others on
the adobe discussion list at adobe at yahoogroups.com about the high cost of
Compressed Earth Block (CEB) machines ($35,000 to $65,000).  Leonard built a
manual press to make adobes and did it for under $200.  The challenge was to
make an economical production CEB that was affordable.  Since I already have
a Hydraulic Power Pak in the Cob-mobile, I designed a simple fully automated
and fully adjustable press mold for making adobes.  I have most of the
materials.  Should only take a short while to put it together.  Production
rate should be 8-12 blocks per minute (4x 10 x 12).  Total cost should be
under $300.  The mould is adjustable in 2" increments and  will produce 4"
veneer to full size blocks.  The ram compression stroke is also adjustable
to compensate for soil density.  Thanks to my Uncle Sam at GSA, I also
picked up another 4 cyl diesel engine for $57.00--good base for another ???

The road closure issues are 50% resolved.  The District Attorney still
hasn't filed, however since the subdivision went in, two of the roads were
paved and are now open.  Need to make contact just to remind him that I am
still waiting.

The Zuni High School Project will be on going for another year or so.  Just
received another $4MM for infrastructure and 1.6MM for deficiency
corrections for the other schools.  Looks like I'll be making the nearly 400
mile round trip every week for a while longer.

Looks like 2002 is getting off to a good start.

SANCO Enterprises, LLC
Paul Salas, General Manager
P.O. Box 45741
Rio Rancho, NM  87174