Cob: Cob plaster on a conventional wall!

Ocean ahimsaocean at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 15:53:24 CST 2002

I don't see any reason stucco mesh (lath) would degrade the strength of
the earthen plaster.  It's main purpose is to attach the plaster coat
to the sheathing.  And once it is dry, there isn't enough moisture to
rust the lath, which is by the way, galvanized (we've left the stuff in
the weather, lots of rain, for over a year, NO RUST!)  Also, we
attached the lath to the sheathing with roofing nails, which are also
galvanized.

And no, as I wrote in my first email, we didn't use any lime, just
seived clay, sand and chopped straw.  Again, this wall is protected
from direct weather, under a patio roof.  I wouldn't try this as an
exterior finish on a conventional house.  After all, if you've alread
got a wooden stud frame house, which not use wooden siding (or
aluminum?)

My response was to the question about using earthen plasters in
interior applications.  I don't see why we would want to use lime on
the interior either, unless it is an area where you want to wash the
wall or for the lighter color.  Like cement, lime (quick or hydrated)
is an industrial product which requires a lot of energy to produce.
BTW, the earthen plastered wall is beautiful, the red clay giving the
wall a soft rust color.

Ocean