Cob: clarification

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Wed Jan 9 01:29:11 CST 2002

About the lime.   I've read that the aged slaked lime is the strongest
and from reports the longer it ages the better it is.

Foreign country professionals have been known to say that American lime
is of inferior quality.  Does anybody know whay this is?  Is it the
inherent quality or a lack of slaking time?

Other that a slaked lime I've seen a lime cream with is a not aged
slaked lime but
a lime cream is to me different in that its a hot lime put into a lot of
water and made into a saturated cream.  It is not as strong as a long
aged slaked lime.

I think this has been done but want to through it out due to its
importance in easing a possible application.   For me it would be easier
to apply hot lime to my clay earth/sand/pebbles and mix it will these
are dry, but not dusty.  Then I would like to add the water, mix it
again, and let it sit for a week or so.    The initial dry mixing would
be easier then a wet mudded mix and spread the ingredients around
better.  I am talking about hand mixing with a hoe or other tool.

But, alas you can't get hot lime in America can you?

Darel