Cob: Re: masonary heater

Robert Bolman robtb at efn.org
Wed Jan 9 04:11:20 CST 2002

I've been looking at some stuff on the mha website, (www.mha-net.org) that talks about masonary heaters in Belarus constructed using clay/earth.
    Has anybody any info/experience of building masonary style heaters using cob or similar techniques?

    A number of people have done heated cob benches which I've always seen as a poor persons's masonry heater.  They use a rocket stove type design to do the initial combustion and then run the combustion gases through (typically) six inch stove pipe embedded in the bench after which it goes up and ultimately exits the building.

    My understanding is that they suffer from a few problems.  For one thing they can draw very poorly because of all that horizontal flu.  Also, I understand that six inch round stove pipe isn't the most conducive shape to transfer the heat to the cob.

    Now that we're "post Y2K", I want to design a heated cob bench using a little blower to facilitate the combustion within a cast refractory "rocket elbow".  Then I would plan on smaller diameter pipe traveling a greater distance to fully transfer the heat into the cob.

    Rob