Cob: cob test info request

John Fordice otherfish at attbi.com
Sat Jan 12 14:55:33 CST 2002

Greetings to all cobbers,

Well we are finally starting on some preliminary cob testing towards the
COB CODE PROJECT.   The testing will be done starting in the next few
weeks by Steven West at Linn-Benton Community College in Albany, Oregon.
 The cob test samples are to be made by Ianto at Cob Cottage.   We will
be doing compression, rupture and possibly some shear tests.  We are
also hoping to make duplicate tests on some simple test apparatus that
can be field-built, with the goal of developing a simple field test
standard that cobbers can use.  This is all with the ultimate goal of
developing a relevant Cob Building Code.

As a part of this work, we like to include the results of others who
have done any similar testing.  If you have, or are aware of, any cob
testing that has been done  please let me know ASAP.   We would like to
include news and results of others cob test efforts in the report we
will be developing.    Anything you care to add to this worthwhile goal
of cob testing and code recognition will be much appreciated.

We will be submitting a presentation for an Ecological Design Conference
to be held this Summer in Berkeley, and would like to bring into the
conference as much as we can about your and others works with Cob.  The
abstract of the presentation is due this coming February 1,  so if you
wish to respond please don’t delay.

Thanks and cob on !!!

john fordice
TCCP