Cob: Masonry heaters

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Tue Jan 15 23:03:35 CST 2002

Joy,
  the iron will expand and shrink quiker than the cob I have heard.
This is not good.
To offset any deliterous affects due to this however, perhaps one could
create a buffer space between the pipe and the cob and filling it with
air or some other more conducive yet soft spongy material or even use a
fire brick material. ?

Diatomaceous earth (long dead planton remains) probably also be used.
It is often formed (somehow, like a clay consistency) and then dried
into a fire brick.
Diatomaceous earth is used as filters for wine, and other drinks.

It is also a material that is now being used in place of sand in some
wall mortars.

Darel