Cob: Jelly Roll Design-more feedback

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sat Jan 26 18:57:39 CST 2002

keep rambing Bob!   I find that the more I actually DO some wacky
experiments the more I learn...trail and error is a good thing, and
please do report your findings so we all don't have to keep repeating
the same trials.

Science codifes methods so progress can be made.  In these archives you
will see many people over-and over have the same lightbulb go off.. then
sopend a lot of time making it happen, otheres want to know what has
been done already so they can either skip a step or go for it if it's
known to work..

And there is something to be said  for  method. itself you may like
rolling logs, someone else loves to slipform pour only and another wants
a perfect brick to lay up..part of owner-building is ENJOYING what you
are doing in the process.   I stomped cob for30 minutes and hated
it..love cob, but hate stomping.

>>>Take one full newspaper sheet. Folded down the seamed
middle. Lay on ground.  Take a trowel of mixture, plop in the middle.
Spread
out even, avoiding four inches from all edges.  Roll up into a tight
log,>>>

Bob did this work? wet newspaper is so weak usually. I've had some
people in New York use flat sheets of cardboard sandwiched with
papercrete,  to make thin "walls", more can be glued together to amke a
thicker wall panel, whcih can be asembled..it's just labor intensive,
but does avoid buying cheap sheetrock.  But one safety concern is that
sheet gypboard is fire rated at 1 hour but papercrete panels won't give
that hour I bet, and it's something to keep in mind.

Charmaine