Cob: $500 photos of Ianto's house

Howard ecoarchitech at directvinternet.com
Thu Jan 31 08:26:05 CST 2002

Ianto told me his house was approximately 180 s.f. including the loft.  He has a
good time asking folks, especially architects and building contractors, to guess how
big their house is, which they often estimate to be 40% larger than it actually is.
He says its because rounded shaped spaces are perceived larger than comparable
square spaces thus "round feet are larger than square feet."

It is also true, as Darel points out, that labor was not figured in as a cost but I
don't doubt Ianto on how much cash he says was spent on it either, $500. But one
must understand that it required considerable resourcefulness to do it and it does
not have a septic system nor a pressurized water system.  Gray water in a bucket
goes to the garden, and an outhouse takes care of the ...earth.  I believe he said
the roof metal and wool insulation were the most expensive things he paid for, the
front doors I think were a salvage gift.  I know others who were able to find or
salvage materials in order to build very inexpensively but most are not your normal
fully equipped energy hogs that are so common in this country.  This country
discards so much it is not that difficult to save a lot when building if you can
take the time to find, salvage or harvest the things you need.

Howard