Cob: 2ND NATURAL BUILDING WORKSHOP IN THAILAND

Keven Naphtali napher at siren.ocn.ne.jp
Sat Feb 2 02:57:08 CST 2002

I am passing this message along on behalf of Janell Kapoor, mud mama from North Carolina's Kleiwerks.  I was at the 1st workshop and highly recommend that people who can go, should go.  If you have the slightest inkling of interest in natural building (which you do because you are on this list), this workshop will have you convinced.  Check it out!

Sawadeeka friends,

After an incredible 1st time Earth Building Workshop in Thailand we are now preparing for Workshop #2. There was such tremendous interest and demand during the 1st one that it seems appropriate to have another course this winter. In this 2nd course we are making room for a larger group of people. Participants will be from many countries with the majority coming from Southeast Asia as it is our aim to support earthen construction in this part of the world. If you would like to join please read on and know to contact us ASAP because we are already filling quickly.

2ND NATURAL BUILDING WORKSHOP IN THAILAND
Learn Cob, Adobe, Earth Plasters & Bamboo
March 15th-24th, 2002

Join Kleiwerks Natural Building, The Spirit in Education Movement and Sritan Village this coming March in Northeastern Thailand for a 2nd International Natural Building Workshop. Through lots of hands-on practice, demonstrations, classes and discussion circles you will learn how to build your own earthen home. You will also be part of a rich and diverse group experience while staying at an organic farm (with swimming ponds) amongst a cooperative village in a rural setting.

Our Project:
We will be building a beautiful earthen 2-story meeting hall which will be used by villagers and visitors for meetings and educational purposes. There will also be 2nd story guest rooms overlooking one of the ponds. We will be using indigenous, ecologically-sound and practically free materials such as clay, straw, rice husk and bamboo. The meeting hall will surely serve as a model for many.

Our Group & Host:
Participants will be from a number of countries including the 3 instructors who are from Thailand (Jon Jandai), U.S.A. (Janell Kapoor) and Holland (Michel Spaan). Many participants will be Thai activists involved with the Spirit in Education Movement, The Assembly of the Poor, local villages and other networks which focus on green politics, social justice, non-violence and engaged spirituality. Our host is part of a network of cooperative villages where people are practicing traditional farming, natural health care, weaving and dying and teaching others in self-sufficiency. Participants will have the option of a village homestay during the course. For more information about the workshop sponsors and natural building visit: www.kleiwerks.com, www.sulak-sivaraksa.org or contact janell at kleiwerks.com.

Our Schedule:
Days will be full with morning and afternoon hands-on sessions (3 hours each) as well as evening circles & discussions. We will be living and sharing with eachother in several languages as well as having silent working time each day. There will also be time for yoga, meditation and alone time. We will have a mid-week break. Please be prepared for an intensive experience (this is not a vacation)!

Coming to Thailand:
Please arrive in Thailand a few days early to get over jetlag and acclimatize. Our site is in Yasothon in the Northeast, about an 8 hour bus ride from Bangkok (more details are given after registration).
2 month tourist visas are automatically given upon arrival into Thailand. If you are coming from the U.S. (both east and west coast) you can call Jonathan Argento at Fugazy Travel at 1.800.221.7181. He found us some pretty good deals on flights (around $800, maybe cheaper now?). If you are coming from other countries please contact your favorite travel agent.

Workshop Fee: (Note: If you are Thai please contact ashram at cscoms.com)
We expect this course to fill quickly so please email us ASAP if you are interested in joining this coming March. For foreigners the workshop fee is a sliding-scale $800-$300 which includes meals, simple lodging and tuition. Please keep in mind that if you can give more it will help cover the cost of this project and scholarships for Thai village activists. If you cannot afford the low end of the scale please contact us and we will work it out. We wish to turn no one away for lack of funds. Again, please be in touch soon as space is limited.

Workshop Registration:
To register please email janell at kleiwerks.com (note: there will not be a response between feb. 3-13). Let us know what country you are from, a little about what you do for work/livelyhood, if you work with any non-profits and anything else you'd like to tell us. Please keep it brief, around a paragraph. There are no requirements to attend.
Once you hear back from us we require a $200 non-refundable deposit sent to: Janell Kapoor at Wongsanit Ashram, PO Box 1, Ongkarak 26120, Nakorn Nayok, Siam. This will reserve your space. We will then send you more details. If you have any other questions please feel free to email us. Hope to see you there. Here's to mud in your eye!

Contact: janell at kleiwerks.com
Visit: www.kleiwerks.com and www.sulak-sivaraksa.org