Cob:rocket stove designs

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Mon Feb 4 12:02:11 CST 2002

Hi Steve, I've done a lot of rocket stove making and cooking, and I love
em!  I learned from Barbara Kerr- solar expert- before I knew Aproveho
called them rocket stoves.

I used a tall juice can, and a vegie can for the throat.  Go to any
junk/stove store and get a gas grill ring- free stading kind- they fit
on top great, or bend a piece of redbar into a U shape to fit the
opening.

Cans will last 3 months with daily use.  I also made a can free clay&
sawdustcrete stive that is much bigger.  Cardboard, and milk cartons can
do the trick as the molds while you make them.

Also I cooked some Pad Thai- a noodle & shrimp dish on the stove.

Rice nnodles are great because you soak them in cold water first, and
only 2-3 minutes boiling is needed.  A small fry pan is used for the
noodles and vege part, all done on the same little rocket stove.

Here is a pic of mine:  http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/can.jpg

this one is a coffee can and a stove pipe "elbow" cost was $1.50 for the
elbow, pack all around with recycled tin foil  , or ash from wood stove.

I ended up writing a booklet on the various designs, it's fun and easy
and no tin snips needed for the  clay/sawdust cooker.( this one is
efficient becuase the body is still packed with foil or sawdust so no
heat is lost to the clay walls.

Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
http://www.papercrete.com