Cob: RE: windows and cob

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Thu Mar 7 10:25:04 CST 2002

At this point, I would still make the same decision.
I have to weight the fact that I have close to 20 windows in the house
and total cost
on windows is about $20. I bought one used window from a habitat
-re-store and
did install it in a wood frame, on the one strawbale wall that I have on
the house.
It's the only window in the house that actually opens and closes.
I added one strawbale wall in case I get the crazy idea to expand (yea,
right!)
my house is a polygon (8+) structure. The + part of the 8 means that
there are some
weird small walls that I sort of count as the plus part of the 8.

I may devise fan / window like unit, in the broken window's space to
increase ventalation. I live in middle GA
and ventalation is quite important.

Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Roxboro Yurt [mailto:theyurt at yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 10:43 AM
To: coblist at deatech.com
Subject: Cob: windows and cob

Hi,
I'm disappointed that I made the same window decision
as Pat, and just stuck them in the cob.  If I could do
it over again, I would definitely build a wood frame
FOR the window frame and key the outer frame into the
cob wall and then nail the window frame into that.
Then if the window breaks or needs to be replaced it'd
be a LOT easier.

Rebekah