Cob: Re: Stone foundation question

Elke Cole elke at cobworks.com
Mon Mar 11 16:29:15 CST 2002

Layth,
There are different ways to solve that:
Sometimes the floor level is  above that foundation.
If not you can bring the cob lower on the interior.  You always fill the
cracks with mortar or mud. Finishing looks better if the cob connects to the
floor rather than looking at stone on the inside ( unless that is a
feature).
Last year we tried a 4" layer of strawclay against the inside of the
stonewall with the cob cantilevered to the same plane. All of it received
plaster and doesn't show as a different layer at all. We'll see how that
performs over time.
I hope you can visualise all that :)
Elke
www.cobworks.com
from planning to building
we work with you to create beautiful places