Cob: Re: Cob & Steel

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Tue Mar 12 22:24:32 CST 2002

I think the proper term is I-beams and it is used with the wide sides on
top and bottom.  Thus, the thinnest cob would be the top and bottom
sides of the top and bottom horizontal parts of the beam.  There is no
keying in to this an you have to hope that the thin outer and inner cob
is enough to hold the upper in place during a little earthquake.  So I'd
prefer to have some bamboo, cane, or willow branches near the middle to
help anchor the cob mas on top and bottom from swaying out of place if
the thin cob on the sides was insufficient to do so.

Darel