Cob: Re: Cob & Steel

Hays royce at hays5.com
Wed Mar 13 11:35:04 CST 2002

Would it not be better to put some sort of sleeve all the way around the I-beam to allow the beams
some room to move so they will not cause cracks in the surrounding walls as the structure will move
alittle with wind/earth shaking?  Perhaps the foam insulation on all sides would serve this purpose?

With wood embedded in the cob one would typically use nails or other method to allow the cob to get a
better grasp on the object.  Suppose you could do the same with the i-beam or, better yet, the sleeve.

as a side, you'll also want to make sure that you provide an electrical ground for your steel frame.

- rhays