Cob: FW: Steel Frame? (fwd)

Abe Connally abe at abeconnally.com
Wed Mar 13 18:18:08 CST 2002

From: Abe Connally <abe at abeconnally.com>
Subject: RE: Cob: FW: Steel Frame?
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:54:34 -0600

test, test, test.

That is truly the way to avoid high costs for any "green" architecture.  Find
out what is feasible, test it out, look at others' mistakes, and test some more.
The point of any "sustainable" structure is to be able to sustain one's self.
That usually means that costs have to be EXTRA low.  In my case, my costs are
next to nothing, just personal labor and few unlocal materials.  Do with what
you can.  Improvise whenever possible, but avoid compromise at all costs.
Adaptation of your design according to your climate, location, and personal
asthetics are key ingredients to making a house as efficient as possible.

Make a scale model.  Make your own drawings.  Use other structures as guides for
weight distribution, durability, and strength.  Do not try and reinvent the
wheel, just make it cooler.

I am building a 1500 square foot home in the harshest desert in the United
States.  The closest lumber company and/or town is over 100 miles away.  By
necessity, I MUST use local materials to keep my costs down.  But that doesn't
mean I compromise my strucutre due to the materials available.  I figure out
what works best here, and use that.  My strucutre is design around the MATERIAL,
not the other way around.

Cob works well in my climate and is available with local materials found all
around me.  Adobe works well here.  Earthship designs are perfect for this area.
My strucuture is designed around the strengths of all of these methods, as well
as the strengths and weaknesses of my climate, area, and many other factors.  To
design a house otherwise is foolish, expensive, and ultimately, a failure.

Your home should not exceed your means.  If it does, you are doing something
wrong.  Either decrease your needs, or increase your means.  It is that simple.
You may have to sacrifice here and there, but your goal will be rewarding.