Cob: Re: Cob Energy, Mixers, Presses, Bicycles, Feet, Horses, Tractors...

Ocean ocean at peacemaking.org
Fri Mar 22 22:09:57 CST 2002

Hi All you Cobbies, Old and New!!!

Well, well, it seems my critique of Brian's bike/cement/cob mixer
started a lot of thought-provoking debate, although hurting some egos
along the way.  Sorry about the sharpness of my original comment.  Seems
again that this email stuff is so prone to mis-communication!

Nevertheless, I was totally jazzed by Kenn Goodson's attitude that
"criticism would only make (his idea) better".  This spirit captures why
we are writing to each other, to learn more, to explore ideas...

I agree with John Hall's comment that I too hate to see "enthusiastic
people wanting to spend an immense amount of their energy heading in a
pointless direction".  Our time and energy are limited and precious.
There are many people on these listservs who have a lot more experience
working with the medium of cob, who are able to advise whether these
innovative ideas would in fact make cob mixing easier or harder.

I also concur with Matthew Hall's advice that "those involved in the
cob-mixer debate (should) not put so much thought and effort into
solving a problem that does not exist."  Cob is indeed best mixed (read:
most ECOLOGICALLY) by the efforts of organic creatures, whether human or
animal.  This is the way earthen building has been done for thousands of
years, by traditional people, young and old, who are indeed much
simpler, smarter, LoweOnTheEnergyConsumptionScale than all of us writing
on these listservs.

But here we are in modern society wanting to improve the quality of our
lives, hurt less salmon, use less energy...and here's Brian trying to
think of a way to simplify mixer-cob.  He also has very little
experience mixing or building with the stuff.  So I responded as someone
who has some experience (just a couple years, I admit) and a couple
major cob projects under my belt.  My intuition is that the bike-cement
mixer won't work (hard to get enough torque from a bike) and doesn't
even solve the electricity problem (if building with wet clay, in the
winter as Pedro suggested, one must first puree the mud with an electric
drill and paddle blade first).

No one, by the way responded to this point: that the 1HP mixer motor
doesn't use that much power anyway!  Certainly a lot less than our
addictions to computers, email, and the internet...did you all know that
just ONE of the server complexes in Silicon Valley that channels the
switching of the internet (a 100,000 square foot warehouse) uses about 5
MEGAWATTS of power?  That's enough to light an entire small city such as
ours in Corvallis.  And there are HUNDREDS of these server complexes in
the USA running the 'net.  So why are we writing so many emails about
saving a little power with a bike mixer, but at the same time wasting so
much power with our beloved computers?  Not to mention the human
connection we've lost in this electronic medium, where our feelings are
hurt so easily?

No, I'm not trying to go "Nya, nya, nya, we are all hypocrites!"  What
I'm trying to point out  is that those of us who are trying to make a
difference and conserve energy all have our pet concerns and
sensitivities.  Some are totally against using electricity, some against
gasoline, some against animal products, some against cooking
vegetables.  We also have our own special gifts and talents.  Brian, you
are into biking and welding, which I think is great!  You'd probably
like mixing cob by foot:  it's fun, and I'm sure you've got the muscles
needed to stomp.

However, sometimes necessity dictates a limit on our time.  Cob requires
time and energy to build with, both to mix AND to build.  In both of our
projects, we ran into this limit:  lots of enthusiastic volunteers with
SOME time to offer.  How to best use their time?  I made a judgment
call, one not at all popular with Ianto, and decided to use a tractor to
mix our cob.  We rented a Case Uniloader (similar to a Bobcat) for a day
at a time and mixed a HUGE pile (anywhere from 10 to 20 YARDS).  OK, it
was a mountain of cob!  The process of mixing by tractor is in itself an
art, one which I will share more about during my slideshow at the NBC.

So we conserved the precious energy of our volunteers to BUILD our cob
walls.  And cob building takes LOTS of muscle energy, to haul from the
pile, to lift it onto the wall, to compress and compact and form into
place.  And then to trim, to haul scrapings, to clean up.  Brian, I'd
much rather see your enthusiasm spent learning to build and sculpt with
cob, with your time left over to keep biking!

Besides, each of the tractor mixing days used only about 10 gallons of
diesel.  There was a lot of noise, and in the restaurant's case, a lot
of mud to pressure wash off the parking lot afterwards.  But then we
used the precious material of cob to build a beautiful space, with an
ambiance unlike any other.  We used a small cement mixer to make plaster
for the wall and oven, which in the end I bought it from the rental
place (I had the mixer rented out three months!)  BTW, if you NBCers
want to borrow it, let me know!

I have come to realize the art of living sustainably in this age
requires a balanced approach to Conviction and Compromise.  We have had
to succomb to using some really nasty toxic materials to meet city codes
(fiberglass, spray foam, and yards of rebar and concrete) but we've also
used real linoleum, natural finishes and floor treatments, recycled
building materials, restaurant equipment and even stainless steel, and
made the best choices we could to make this restaurant as
environmentally safe as possible.  We will be serving the best organic,
vegetarian "world cuisine" on the West Coast!  I'll tell you all the
tale at the NBC.

There is a lot of "embedded" energy in a cob structure.  The energy of
people's love, sweat, and sometimes blood (ever stomped on a sharp rock
while foot-mixing cob?), but also the energy of machines, whether
tractors for mixing, trucks for hauling clay and sand, cars for bringing
the volunteers to the site, or computers for the great debate and
discourse of the coblist and nbc list.  Let's keep carrying the torch,
and find ways to make peace with our energy use...we are all making a
difference here, bringing more beauty into the cities, more love into
our spaces, more humanity into the building world.

Blessings,
Ocean

Owner/Manager/Builder/Fixer-Upper/HeadBottleWasher
Intaba's Kitchen
http://www.intabas.com

Resident/Steward
Ahimsa Sanctuary