Cob: ClayRroof Tiles In Southern California Apr 19-21, 2002

b bolo1942 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 6 09:32:44 CST 2002

Hola all,
I want to pass on the following workshop announcement from Bob Boles, Sustainable Earth Enterprises, Inc, San Diego, CA

*******************
 We have had the opportunity to do some creative design and construction at
the Pine Manor Retreat Center (Lake Elsinore, Riverside County, Southern
California). Prior to our participation, a lovely cob meditation
room/building with a living roof was built, and another small cob structure
is under construction under the guidance (and perspiration) of Amber Wiggett
of Vermont. In order to introduce Straw Bale to Pine Manor, we designed and
built a Straw Bale entrance to the facility two years ago. Last fall we
designed a loadbearing roundhouse with a reciprocal roof. You can see an
early photo at our website: http://www.strawbalehouse.com/workshops.html
In our next workshop, April 19, 20, and 21, we will be installing PEX tubing
for a solar-heated (gas backup) hydronic floor. We will also apply the first
layer for a clay floor. We will apply the finish layer at our June 21, 22,
21 workshop.
The most unique topic of the workshop, however, will be to make sun-dried
clay roof tile for the roundhouse. We will be experimenting with a variety
of stabilizers to make the tiles waterproof, so this should be a quite
interesting and informative process.
This is a beautiful facility with wonderful food and overnight
accommodations for 20.
Cost:   3 days $150      2 days  $120      Day rate $45 (lunch only).
Call   909-678-2414, or email catchgw at earthlink.net for more information.
Bob Bolles can be reached at Bob at StrawBaleHouse.com

Check out  http://www.pinemanor.com/ for a wonderful tour of the COB, Straw Bale, and art work being done at Pine Manor Retreat.  I also have updated photos available both for the round straw bale and for the seed house with arched roof at Sea Breeze Organic Farms near Del Mar California (http://www.seabreezed.com).

This should be another excellent workshop with a variety of projects both completed (if there is such a thing!), ongoing, and planned.

Preston of the Mojave - not in the boondocks, but you can surely see them from here ):-)
bolo1942 at hotmail.com