Cob: Lime

Anne McMahon amcmahon at mail.lm.net.au
Wed Apr 17 20:56:00 CDT 2002

Hello all -
I use lime renders and have no trouble with dust / powdering on the surface,
the finish is hard - it feels like a cement render although different.
One problem I have noticed is that when a smaller structure, for example a
free standing wall is rendered on all faces (front, sides and top) there is
some cracking across the top area with moisture uptake. The clay content of
the cob is the obvious cause of some movement however in this last structure
we have a very sandy mix, The structures are also partially protected from
the rain with some thatching.

I would like to hear opinions and experiences from others who have worked
with lime render and in effect sealed their structures on the front, sides
and top with the render.

Were the top sections of house walls rendered?
One thought that I have had is to place an expansion joint across the ridge
of cob and lime rendered structures?
Thankyou anne.

--
Calling from the Lower Murray Network, service of Noel & Friends.
Email info at lm.net.au or visit http://www.lm.net.au/ for more information!