Cob: RE: Lime

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Thu Apr 18 07:58:19 CDT 2002

Ok, I lied. Yup, I went to the house yesterday and rubbed my had agaist my lime plastered
wall and sure enough there was a light coat of white (lime dust?) on my fingers.

More than likely I will apply something over the wall at a latter point. I need to finish the floors and
the lime plaster the remaining cob walls first. I was thinking of working up a batch of something that I can
rub / paint over the cob. Perhaps some very watered down cheap white latex paint which would still be breathable,
but render a surface less prone to dusting.

Other ideas?

Pat

www.gypsyfarm.com

Hello all -
I use lime renders and have no trouble with dust / powdering on the surface,
the finish is hard - it feels like a cement render although different.
One problem I have noticed is that when a smaller structure, for example a
free standing wall is rendered on all faces (front, sides and top) there is
some cracking across the top area with moisture uptake. The clay content of
the cob is the obvious cause of some movement however in this last structure
we have a very sandy mix, The structures are also partially protected from
the rain with some thatching.

I would like to hear opinions and experiences from others who have worked
with lime render and in effect sealed their structures on the front, sides
and top with the render.

Were the top sections of house walls rendered?
One thought that I have had is to place an expansion joint across the ridge
of cob and lime rendered structures?
Thankyou anne.

--
Calling from the Lower Murray Network, service of Noel & Friends.
Email info at lm.net.au or visit http://www.lm.net.au/ for more information!