Cob: cob hybrids - alternatives for pressure treated wood

Howard ecoarchitech at directvinternet.com
Wed Apr 24 11:43:59 CDT 2002

Kerry,

I help people build with bales in the Southeast where "its the humidity" is nearly
consistently high.  Even when we have drought it's humid.  Humidity hasn't been a
problem for us on our straw buildings, including the Burritts Mansion built in 1936,
but water would be bad for it as it would be for wood.  Where are you located?

I agree you don't need to use PT wood, just keep the water from being able to get to
the wood.  At the bottom you might consider using something like several layers of
building felt so water won't wick up into the wood.