Cob: RE: Re: foundations, tree roots

Rick Fisk rfisk at ev1.net
Sun Apr 28 12:51:24 CDT 2002

> Thanks, Rick, for sharing your experience.  You said the
"circumference"
> is 10-12 feet?  Did you mean the diameter because if the circumference
> was 12 feet, then the diameter would be about 4ft or about 48in.

I meant circumference. Perhaps I should have paid more attention to the
rule. (Doh!) Even so, if we're talking 1" to every 1' in diameter that
would put the recommendation the builder keep the foundation 48' away
from the tree. If you want to use the trees as partial shade for the
house, you would give up a great deal of that benefit by moving the
house so far away I would surmise.

Also, I think that perhaps the roots *are* underneath this house but
this particular building is pier and beam (an addition to the old rock
portion of the house) and rubble trench for the rock portion of the
house. Thus, perhaps the roots are going to cause minimal interference
since there isn't a great deal of area for them to disrupt.

Rick