Cob: Straw Bale Workshop 21-22 and 23rd June 2002 at Pine Manor, Lake Elsinore, CA

b bolo1942 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 15 20:19:44 CDT 2002

Fellow natural earth builders.

Just a reminder and update on this weekends straw bale workshop at
Pine Manor, near Lake Elsinore CA.

-  The plaster shooting machine arrived and looks super.  It is a hand held
hopper type thing, very well built with four (count them - 4) nozzles at the
bottom to shoot the stuff out.  It should be interesting to see how it
handles our 'mud' and if it sprays the 'mud' where it is aimed and not hit
innocent bystanders as was rumored to have occurred with the manual method.
I know nauthinnnning: I say nauthinnnning: I see nauthinnnning!!!!!  :^)

-  The new straw bale needles are in and will be available at the workshop.
Compared to those we used in the construction, they have a longer handle to
allow for two handed pushing and are 2-inches longer.  They look great. Can
send a picture if you need more info e-mail me at bolo1942 at hotmail.com.

-  Gail will present her video that was shown at the CASBA meeting.  I have
seen it and it is super.  It shows the round straw bale from ground level
(actually 1 foot below ground level) to the reciprocal roof.  This is
especially good for those that joined in later stages of the round straw
bale as you can see what went into the early stages and some of the faces
associated with all that hard (fun too though) work. If all goes well there
is a possibility it can be put on a cd and might be available at the
workshop. This is our hope anyway.

-  We are going to concentrate on a 4-bale high wall for a section of the
swimming pool and a 20-foot long straw bale seating section near the
amphitheater.  This will all be put on a foundation of urbanite and use some
of the endless earth bags filled with superadobe (ala Cal Earth). Than of
course there is the new plaster shooting sprayer.  Should be lot's of
opportunities for playing in the mud while learning a pretty neat way to
build in a more earth friendly way.

Hope to see you there my friends.  If you can't do the full three days, try
to come for two days, or for one.  I have attached the original flyer below.

Preston of the Mojave

Straw Bale Workshop
June 21-22-23rd    2002

TOPICS COVERED

- Building with Bales
- Garden Walls
- Earthen Plasters
- Experimental Roof Tile

This 3 day workshop will be held at Pine Manor site of other natural
building projects, including a massage studio built with COB, a small
mediation room built with COB and round wood features, a Cob oven and bench,
a round straw bale meeting room with reciprocal roof, and a Straw Bale
Entrance wall.

Learn from the BEST: Presented by Bob Bolles of Sustainable Earth
Enterprises
Assisted by other capable Natural Builders, including Michael Leach and
Preston Bell

Interested in learning about Straw Bale?  Join us for the second workshop at
Pine Manor on the Ortega Highway. We will be building a straw bale garden
wall, including a window or two. You will have an opportunity to learn about
the phases of Straw Bale building. We will also create earthen plaster and
continue plastering the Round House.  We will design and create straw bale
benches as well.

Call   909-678-2414 for more information.

Pine Manor is located approximately 10 miles north on the Ortega Highway
from Lake Elsinore, CA just off of I-15.
For a map to Pine Manor see www.pinemanor.com
and click on 'directions'.

Also check out www.strawbalehouse.com

Cost: