Cob: Couple Of Questions

Ocean ocean at peacemaking.org
Mon Jul 22 16:35:08 CDT 2002

The issue of bonding layers of cob and "sewing" straw with "thumbs" is a
bit overblown as far as I can tell.  I know Ianto vehemently insists it
is necessary, but he in his wonderful global slide show demonstrates how
almost no other earthen building tradition worries about it!  And he
readily admits that they "invented" the use of the thumb to sew straw,
and well as the making of small individual "cobs" which by their nature
need to be "thumbed" and kneaded.

Now, when we built our Kiva and the restaurant wall, we just piled the
cob on the wall by the forkfull or bucketful, then shaped it by hand
into the shape we wanted the wall, then moved on!  No thumbing,
kneading, etc.  If you work with sufficiently wet cob and at an even
rate, the shear compressive load of the material compresses the bonds,
and the water tends to do as water does, flow downward with gravity,
through the "dry" layer immediately below.

A problem I see with our listserv here:  we have lots of theory, not
much experience, and obviously for those of us on the internet, lots of
time to postulate.  But when building a structure, time isn't always so
must time available, and even less energy.  So any technique which isn't
essential for a sound building (e.g. thumbing and making cobs) is
actually quite costly in terms of human labor, which is the most costly
item on the cob building budget spreadship.

Ocean