Cob: cob layers

Roxboro Yurt theyurt at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 23 07:51:51 CDT 2002

I'm with Ocean on the cob layer theorizing.  I just
plopped the stuff on pretty wet, and patted it around
a bit, cut off the extra (which was usually quite a
lot) and threw it back in the mix . I think it is
pretty hard to mess this stuff up.  I recently opened
a hole in the wall for the 4 " sewer line (I had a
piece of wood stuck through the wall holding the place
open that I knocked out, which was about 16 inches
wide from inside of wall to outside), and I was amazed
how compressed the inside of  the wall looked, it
looked exactly like an adobe brick actually, you
couldn't see any layers and it was very tight.   The
only layer I can see in the wall is where I left it at
the end of the summer in 2000 and didn't start again
until summer 2001. But I think I am the only person
who could ever notice this in the wall, it isn't very
obvious.
Rebekah