Cob: Re: Cob in OK

M.Janean Elmore-Dozier janean at dracodigital.com
Thu Jul 25 11:02:30 CDT 2002

Good Morning Sean,

That is funny as I replied to you the same day I received the email from
the coblist.
As for what I meant, it was just general.  You don't see a whole lot on
these lists about the midwest, so my ears perked up at the mention of a
place within a few hours' drive.
I am currently dreaming some big dreams about building with cob within a
couple of years, but sometimes the whole concept is a little
overwhelming.  I was rather taken with the idea of attending a workshop
with Mr. Evans and then sponsoring my own in order to get some labor and
design help.  Have you looked at their information about that?  I would
love to help out on a project but sometimes I am a little short on time.

As an aside concerning cooling tubes:  Nobody ever seems to talk about
the importance of air circulation in a cob building.  I am talking about
through windows.  I live in an older house without air conditioning and
have toured a lot of historical homes.  They were usually designed to
encourage air circulation with pretty good results.  I have even seen one
in Abilene that had a three story tower at the center front of the house
that worked sort of like a giant chimney.  Trees, deep eaves, window
placement to take advantage of cross-currents, and maybe even an attic
fan, seem like they would be very useful.  I would think that interior
divider walls that don't go all the way to the ceiling would work like
door transoms as well.

Thoughts??

;)
Jee

On 7/24/02, 5:53:03 PM, <bobodod at cox.net> wrote regarding Re: Cob in OK:

> Hey there. You said "What about Kansas?", but it's been a while since I
sent
> that email to the list about Cob in Oklahoma, so I don't know what you're
> referring to.   ; Þ   In any case, I think we might end up with a project
> going down here around Oklahoma City. What about you up there? And
> definitely, the more people we can get together from our area - Central
US -

--
believed to be clean.