Cob: Oklahoma thoughts and concerns

swboltin at excite.com swboltin at excite.com
Wed Aug 7 13:24:04 CDT 2002

Shannon and List, In response to concerns of high night time temperature
you had mentioned:
<snip>
> Depends on what you mean by often, if you mean the night time low for
> many days or weeks at a time doesn't get below the high eighties, then this
> could be a problem, if you just mean that some nights don't get below
> that, then it is not so much of an issue as typical cob wall thicknesses
> should take many days to undergo a significant temperature change (with
> proper design for your climate you could probably stretch the number of
> days significantly).

I was curious, I live in Houston and 80+ is common at night.  Accompanied
of course with our high humidity.  Is this an issue with the stability of
cob or just factor in with the comfort level?  This would be something
that I would definitely like to know prior to jumping in.   Also, the
developement I am in, my house included, is developing problems in
relation to driveways and in some instances foundations, all of the slab.
It seems that the soil wasn't compacted enough and cracks are developing.
There are a couple of driveways that have a large portion of the soil
underneath has washed out and are being supported by re-bar alone.   I
have read some of the other emails stating that with cob, soil compaction
is not an issue, and in fact is often avoided.  How does a wall that is
all one piece get around this?   Any help any of ya'll can shed on either
issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Shawn