Cob: Upcoming Natural Building Training

janell kapoor janellv at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 10 18:04:57 CDT 2002

hi friends, please excuse cross-postings. here's an update of an awesome
event coming up soon. we'd love to see you there. mud love!

This is an in-depth, comprehensive training for folks who are seriously
interested in Natural Building...

INTERNATIONAL 10 DAY TRAINING IN THE ART OF NATURAL BUILDING
Learn how to build beautifully crafted, affordable, long-lasting, non-toxic,
energy efficient dwellings with local and natural materials.

September 6-15, 2002
Asheville, NC, USA

Join Kleiwerks Natural Building and SouthEast Ecological Design in the late
summer lushness of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. Through hands-on
practice, demonstrations, classes, slideshows, sharing and fun, we will
explore various techniques and their appropriate applications. You will
learn the tricks of the trade on how to design and build your own earthen
home from start to finish, and you will be supported in going back to your
community to share the knowledge and get things on the ground!

During our 10 days together we will be at Kevin's permaculture homestead,
building a cottage with thick earthen walls, a cob and adobe hybrid, and a
thatch roof with a stone foundation. We will also construct a bamboo duck
hut, garden archways, hand-sculpted benches and do some earthen finish and
sculptural relief work. We will build a rocket stove and more, if time
allows. We will tour some of the area's clay and straw structures including
Asheville's first cob hut, Dancing Dragonfly's strawclay and cob pottery
studio and Earthaven Ecovillage's passive solar buildings.

In this course you will learn the following techniques:
*Adobe
*Cob
*Wattle and Daub
*Strawclay
*Earthen Plasters
*Clay-based Paints
*Bamboo
*Thatch
*Stonework

You will also learn how to:
*Identify & mix materials
*Hand-sculpt built-in furniture, niches, arches & relief
*Install windows, doors, drainage & foundations
*Approach whole-systems & passive solar design
*Deal with permits
*And more!

This training has the unique benefit of hosting the kick-off of a six week
International Natural Building Convergence. Our group will include some
grassroots activists, mainly from Argentina and Thailand, who've been
invited to join us because of the outstanding sustainable
living/permaculture work they are doing.

If you are interested in contributing to the Convergence Scholarship Fund,
please email janell at kleiwerks.com. Thank you.

INSTRUCTORS: Janell Kapoor (founder of Kleiwerks), Mollie Curry (member of
Earthaven's Forestry Cooperative; Kleiwerks), Kevin Ward (SouthEast
Ecological Design), David Reed (Circle of Stone; Author of 'The Art and
Craft of Stonework' and 'The Art and Craft of Stonescaping'), Jo Jandai
(from Thailand; Spirit in Education Movement; Sritan Village), Michel Spaan
(from Holland; The Court Of Eden) and other special guests.

FEE: Includes tuition, delicious organic meals, tours and camping. We are
dedicated to making this available to all who are seriously interested. For
this reason, we have a sliding scale of $400-$800, asking that folks do
their best to meet the middle $600. We may ask for some work-trade if you
cannot. We also encourage you to come with other interested folks from your
area (good friends are great!), with a commitment to take back what you
learn, sharing with others in your community. You can do this by giving a
hands-on demonstration workshop upon your return, in exchange for getting
sponsorship ahead of time in the range of $25-$50 (or whatever) from people
in your area. This way,  natural building will spread, others get to learn,
you get to teach and cover some of your fee, we can cover our expenses and
your community has a small demonstration project on the ground. We are happy
to assist this process as advisors and see this as a win-win-win situation
all around.

REGISTRATION: Early registration is encouraged. Once we receive your
registration your place is reserved and we will send you more details &
directions. To register please send your name, address, email and a $200
non-refundable deposit to:

"SouthEast Ecological Design"
c/o Kevin Ward
1043 Old Fort Road
Fairview, NC 28730

INFORMATION: If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.
Call: Kevin Ward (course host) at 828.768.6448
Email: seedesign at hotmail.com
Visit: www.kleiwerks.com

SPONSORS:
KLEIWERKS NATURAL BUILDING & SOUTHEAST ECOLOGICAL DESIGN
VISIT US AT WWW.KLEIWERKS.COM

OTHER UPCOMING WORKSHOPS:

NATURAL BUILDING IN THAILAND
WINTER 2002-2003
Starting this Novemeber there will be a number of earthen building projects
happening in Thailand. Details will be posted/announced soon. If you are
interested please contact USA contact, janell at kleiwerks.com.

SPONSORS:
WONGSANIT ASHRAM (THAILAND), THE SPIRIT IN EDUCATION MOVEMENT (THAILAND),
ASSEMBLY OF THE POOR (THAILAND), KLEIWERKS NATURAL BUILDING (USA) AND
OTHERS.

Please post or pass this onto other interested folks, relevant calendars &
email listserves. If you would like some flyers or if you don't want to
receive future mailings please let us know at janell at kleiwerks.com.