Cob: cob tubs/benches again

John Russell jruss at jrussell.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 21 16:54:24 CDT 2002

>Hi John...first of all the Becky Bee book is about a METAL stock  tank or
>Ceramic bathtub, which is coated on the OUTSIDE with cob to retain
>heat...not the tub itself.

Ahhhh, never mind, it was a thought. Not many people over here have
hot tubs outside. lol, not much point in having something you can only
use 1 day a year ! (Our weather's not really that bad, honestly !
<g>)
>this confuses many people...the only  clay  that holds water that I know
>of is a large clay-lime-paper bowl that I made 2 years ago, and it holds
>water all the time, but it is the Lime stabilizing the clay that does that
>trick.  Don't see why a lime-clay plaster could not do the same thing over
>a bench too.
>
>And lime is just fine when hard to sit on, walk on, etc..after all
>limestone walls don't hurt anyone, and lime putty turns back to limestone
>as it carbonates.

So a limewash/plaster coating should be OK ? Even if it's a little
damp from a morning shower ? Of course an alternative would be to
provide cushions to sit on, then my delicate flower petal like skin
wouldn't even come into contact with the nasty hard surfaces.
	Perhaps I've been watching too many old 60's thrillers where
they disposed of the bodies in lime pits !  ;-)
>Papercrete is a lovely sponge essentially, and need s a water proofing
>coat of
>( guess?) lime to protect it too.
Ahhhh, not a good idea as a foundation then ?

>this is a pic of a bench I built 3 years ago, and designed to let water
>run off the sides, it had a clay lime plaster, but I was planning on a
>pure lime plaster ( but bought a house, moved, landlady made me knock it
>down, boo hoo, RIP cob  garden couch.)
>
>http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/bbench.jpg

rofl, I've seen this picture before ! It was the one that inspired me
to try and design and build my own. Aww, you had knock it down ? :(