Cob: Realistic sized homes

Neana neana at terraworld.net
Thu Aug 22 15:24:51 CDT 2002

I have been doing a lot of surfing, reading, etc. and building a home
with cob calls to my soul.  Unfortunately, it will be some time before my
soul can get time to answer.  :(

On the other hand, this leaves lots of time for dreaming and envisioning.
 The many beautiful pictures of cob homes that I have seen are definitely
cottages and I appreciate the reasoning behind creating a small home.
However, I have two teenagers, pets, lots of 'stuff' and hobbies.  The
house I am imagining currently is basically round with a 36 foot
diameter.  It would peak at about 20 feet tall and slope to about 10 feet
on one side and 15 on the other.  I realize this is generously sized.  My
question: "Is it unreasonably generous?".  It would be approximately 1500
sq feet when the large loft is added.

Is that even do-able in a season?  Not finishing the interior.  Just the
walls and roof.  I am in SEKansas, the summers are long and hot.  The
winters are cold and messy.  The RF factors suggested for this area would
be easily reached with a wall that started at 20-24 inches thick and
tapered to about 18.

Thanks,
Jee
PS if you see any gross mistakes in these assumptions, please let me know
gently.  ;)