Cob: Tax Sales-Cheap Land (off topic)

SANCO Enterprises, LLC chansey at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 23 08:27:02 CDT 2002

Greetings all........

Haven't posted in a long while, busy finishing up projects before winter
arrives.

Just wanted to alert new list members that the State of New Mexico Tax and
Revenue is conducting their property tax sales at
http://www.state.nm.us/tax/ptd/salesche.htm and if you want to own a single
lot or multiple acres of mountain property, this may be your opportunity.
Most states in the US have either tax sales or tax lien sales available.

I first posted in 1999 that I was acquiring lots in Rio Rancho, New Mexico
and my home is now on one of those $2,000 lots.  I have purchased some 1/2
acre lots for as little as $10 with utilities.  I was the first to build in
Unit 20 of Rio Rancho Estates and now I have over 60 new homes around me.
The lots are selling between $28,000 and $45,000 now.  Sold 3 in last two
months.  I haven't given up a buying at tax sales, however I am more
selective now and able to buy properties before they hit the tax delinquency
list.

In my early posts, several of our list members were very critical and
negative about the process and problems that could potentially accompany
land purchases at a tax sale. Some believe that it is unethical or immoral
to buy these properties.  Fact is many "heirs" don't want them--they've
never seen the property, etc, etc, and don't want to continue paying taxes
on something they will never use.  After 87 purchases, I have yet to
encounter any problems.  I have filed Pro Se Quiet Title action in District
Court just to make sure there are no "clouds" looming when I sell the
properties.  I first sought the advice of a lawyer and I was told that it
would cost $1,500 to $2,500 for each property to Quiet Title.  After a
little reading and legal research, I found I could file on all of the
properties in a county at once and do it on my own. If any one is
interested, contact me off list and I will e-mail a copy of my filing.  No
lawyers, just the $122 filing fee and cost of newspaper publication or
summons fee.

Based on the early posts on the subject, I receive 2 or 3 calls a month from
individuals seeking advice and assurance that it can be done and they can
become property owners.  Most a first time buyers, young and just want to
own a piece of land that they can build on when their finances permit. Most
touching was a single mother with two kids in Ohio who needed help. She
borrowed a small amount of money and bought 2 parcels, sold one and now owns
her home free and clear after two years.  I'm sure there are many on the
list who could benefit as she did.

SANCO Enterprises, LLC
Paul Salas, General Manager
P.O. Box 45741