Cob: Cob failure problems

jenniferponder at earthlink.net jenniferponder at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 30 13:12:08 CDT 2002

Shannon is correct.  If your friend is
purchasing linseed oil meant to be used as artist oil, it is VERY
toxic--unfortunately I no longer have the information on the contents.  I
know I used to.  Sorry.  Something to note is that artists' supplies
are not required by law to list any or all ingredients.  The only
regulations that exist are those regarding the claim of a product being
"non-toxic".  The manufacturer still doesn't have to list ingredients, but
does have to fulfill a min. standard which changes depending on who
certifies...AP non-toxic is one and there is also another regulating agency but
the abbreviation escapes me at the moment.

What I can tell you is that from working with
oils, I always thought that linseed oil made me sick.  It was the chemical
"enhancers."  In my "Materials and Techniques of Painting" book, linseed
preparations are discussed from the traditional homemade methods.  It still
incorporates toxic ingredients to obtain the desired effects such as thickening
the oil with lead.

I mentioned before that Bioshield made some good
paints.  They also make a Hard oil seal which is mainly linseed oil w/o
added ingredients.  However some of their products make me sick--those
containing tung oil. (Not because tung oil is particullarly toxic--just
that I'm sensitive to many things.) Plus, well there's the $$$ issue--it's not
cheap and shouldn't be the source for large applications.  I do not have
another source right now for additive free linseed oil.  If I were you, I
would suggest looking for a food grade oil buy it in quanties and then process
it yourself.  I would have to be more knowledgable before I could advise
you how to do this.

My book says that linseed oil is the "most
thorough-drying and durable of the natural drying oils.  It becomes
touch-dry in three to five days.  Painters get the best result from
alkali-refined linseed oil, which is crystal clear and has a pale to golden
yellow color.....the thorough drying of linseed oil is a distinct advantage, as
it reduces the likelihood of cracking later in the painting's
life."

This book I have is by Jonathan Stephenson and is
the best book for info on...well, what the title says..."The Materials and
Techniques of Painting."

Jennifer