Cob: just a couple things I don't understand

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 28 19:17:58 CDT 2002

I'm probably not the person to ask, but that won't stop me from trying.

a) you want straw that's strong enough that your boyfriend could--not
safely, but in terms of strength--swing you around while you were each
hanging on to an end of a five or seven strand bundle.  And you mush this
stuff in HARD, so that each succesive lot is well worked in with the
previous. It seems that the straw in that mix is still straw several hundred
years later.  Compared to, say, a large freeway bridge (Silliman Evans
Bridge) in Nashville maybe twenty years ago, that was failing, partly
because of salt on it in freezing weather.  And it was failing precisely
because the iron was rusting.

b)You key it in more or less the same way as you do successive pours of
concrete.  Cob has the advantage that if you let it get too dry, you can wet
it up.  If it's too wet, it will slump, exactly the same way concrete will
if you, say, take the forms off way too soon.

c) You want your walls MASSIVE at the bottom. Much thicker than a reinforced
concrete wall.

d) See the Evans et al book.

Now someone else can tell it even better.

Angy Violet wrote, and I snipped down to nothing.

So, my boyfriend specializes in concrete, and I am trying to explain cob to
him, and he can't quite compare it to what he knows. He doesn't understand
why you wouldn't need rebar in the walls!!!!