Cob: just a couple things I don't understand

Howard ecoarchitech at directvinternet.com
Sun Sep 29 10:47:39 CDT 2002

As Shannon says, the straw is like the rebar.  It is what gives cob its tensile
strength while the sand and gravels give it its compressive strength and the clay
soil the cement that glues it all together.  Your boyfriend should understand it in
those terms along with the tapering of walls from thick at the bottom to thinner at
the top.

As for a "cob" roof I would say you probably refer to an earthen or adobe roof of
the sort Hassan Fathy is well known for.  (Shannon, what 's the guys name with
CalEarth, I think, who is carrying on that kind of work?)  You need to make dry
hardened "cob" bricks that you can then lay up into a dome shape.  When Shannon says
she knows of no "cob roofs" she is referring to the specific method of cob
construction that deals only with walls in a wet mud monolithic manner which would
be difficult to build a dome with, at least without a form.  But cob is earth, sand
and straw just as the adobe bricks that have formed domed roofs are.  This method of
dome building comes from very dry regions where they don't have timber with which to
build a roof and if the current desertification of the planet continues we may all
be from a very dry region..  In the mean time, we can design and build what is
appropriate for our region so that we don't have to go to greater lengths to
waterproof etc.

Howard

--
Howard Switzer
2411 Elliott Avenue

“Deception is the art of kings.”

“Reality itself has become radical.  To speak on its behalf is a form of
insurrection.”

“There is no way to peace, peace is the way.”