Cob: cob domes

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Thu Oct 3 11:21:05 CDT 2002

Nader does not fire his earth bag domes. He only, one time, fired a house in
Iran, his native country. I put a ferro-cement cap on my superadobe (Nader's
name for earth bag construction) dome. I had started to use superadobe all the
way up for the dome but as I got up to about 9, I realized that we get times
when a fair amount of rain falls. As a result I switched to ferro-cement for the
roof / cap of the dome. It has held up quite well now for several years.

Pat
www.gypsyfarm.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Amanda Peck [mailto:ap615 at hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 8:23 AM
To: bharriso at crystald.com; coblist at deatech.com
Subject: Re: Cob: cob domes

A couple.  Did you see the article on the cal-earth site on earthbag domes
for emergency shelter?  At least after you get the foundation in--which you
may not need for a true "emergency" but those things have been known to
outlive their design lifespans by factors of ten.

http://www.calearth.org/emergshelter.htm

Waterproofing.

Ben asked (I'm into brevity) Any thoughts?