Cob: Re: how cold can you go?

jen walker jwalker at magma.ca
Mon Oct 7 23:51:58 CDT 2002

-------
>From: Darel Henman <henman at it.to-be.co.jp>
>To: jen walker <jwalker at magma.ca>, cob list <coblist at deatech.com>
>Subject: how cold can you go?
>Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:27:30 +0900
>

> Hi Darel, thanks for your advice 'cause we need it! you seem pretty
experienced so if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a few more
questions...,

> snip

>Darel wrote: I recommend that you refer to some of the earthship houses that
have
> been built at high altitude areas, in the U.S., these are cold areas.

I was surprised to see at earthship.org, that a wee hermitage earthship (not
big enough for us especially since we both work from home) could cost
$80,000 US. Can this be true? We love the look and enviro-ethics of cob and
the lure of being mortgage free and out of the economic grind has greatly
increased our determination to be owner-builders.

> A lot depends on your design.  I would probably put strawbale or a light
> clay additional insulation wall on the outside of the cob, and then add
> a eathern berm with an underground umbrella to shed water away.  Some
> put insulation underthis to keep the warmth in the ground from getting
> out to sound.  Put these at least on the coldest side of the house, in
> your case probably north.

I just heard about slip-straw, light clay and straw mix for insulation. Is
this what you are refering to? Do you know if that would be suitable? Would
it be the outer wall or need to be sandwiched between cob? I hear its better
at dealing with moisture and we have heard of a couple of strawbale places
around here going rotten inside. However, time & experience may have
remedied that issue by now.

> Another good idea would be to build into a south facing hill.  This
> might preclude the use of cob for the inside areas, though.

Why is that?

> Check the climate data, because if you have a lot of sunny days in the
> winter, it would make a big difference.  Also the number of cloudy days
> in a spell, would give you a worst case scenario for being without solar
> energy.   Talk to people with cellars and basements in your area to see
> what the average temperature are down there, without directly added
> heat.

Good advice, it seems very sunny here in winter especially to one who hails
from Britain but we should make sure.

thanks for taking the time to help us out!
Jen