Cob: hydrated lime use in soils-info

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Mon Oct 14 11:37:09 CDT 2002

Here is the response on hydrated lime in soil use from Harry Francis NLA
lime expert (retired) He puts forth some good explanation...good for FYI

Charmaine Taylor....
Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Eureka  CA 95534
books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
707-441-1632
++++++++++++++
Charmaine,

There has been alot of mis-information about the vatious forms of lime
over  the years ...,especially every since Thomas Edison wrote a piece that
hydrated lime was too active and ground limestone should only be used. I
suggest he was incorrect in his asumptions. Following are my
observations and
thoughts on lme use. I may be wrong, so I suggest everyone do the little
plot
experiment I suggest in the following lines.

IF one is only looking for pH adjustment of the soil, then -100 mesh
limestone (hi Cal or dolomitic, depending on the chemistry of the soil) is
useful.. BUT if one wnats to agglomerate the clay soil into a friable
aeriated soil; slow down both wind and water  erosion; kill soil virus;
control plant pathogenic bacteria, and fungi; then the use of hydrated lime
seems the right thng to do.

Yes, one must not over apply hydrated lime.....while it is almost
impossible
to over apply ground limestone......But, even in the case of
over-application
of hydrated lime, the excess is quickly carbonated  by carbon dioxide in
the
air and soil water; and the pH returned to mid levels in a few months.

I guess one of the best examples of the value of lime use are the Amish
farmers in Pensylvania, who today still use hydrated lime (and have for
hunderds of years) , and produce the most crops per acre of any place in
the
world.

Traditionally, the farmer constructed alternate layers of wood, and
layers of
limestone, etc onto a pile. The wood was set on fire, calcining the
limestone
into quicklime. After the fire consumed all the wood and died out, then the
farmer poured water onto the remaining pile of quicklime and wood ashes.
This
resulted in a chemcal reaction --slaking --forming a pile of hydrated lime
and wood ash....

This mixture was applied at about the rate of one to two bushels per acre.

This practice still continues, except they purchase hydrated lime from the
lime mfg..
seldom do they use quicklime, for it takes an additional step; and also the
quicklime will cause skin burns if allowed to dust onto the damp skin.
Hydrated lime does not burn the skin...unless the hydrated lime also
contains
other alkaline materials like Sodium hydroxide, sodium carbonate, or
potassium hydroxide/carbonate.

Still the dust is a nusenace dust, and should be avoided, especially in the
eyes.

I suggest that one experiment with a small plot of soil, using limestone on
one plot, and hydratd lime on the other. Choose a similar soil on flat land
---next to one another.

Lime the plots - one with minus 100 mesh limestone ( determined by a soil
test to the recommended rate)....and the other with the above Amish
recommendation of one to two bushels/acre appication rate..(60 to 120
pounds
per acre).

Plant a quick growing grass, or whatever ..using the same seeds in both
plots, and no additional fertilzer.

Now sit back and observe..... I rest my case; and I could be wrong. But I
challange you to the experiment.

Let us know what you experience.

Neither lime or limestone will wash away..... as the solubility of lime is
about .14 Gr liter of water.... However, if you have acid rain, then they
both will be used up as they neutralize the rainfall, and as they
neutralize
the acid products from organic decomposition in the soil ( that's exactly
what they are supposed to do.).

In addition, the hydrated lime will quickly chemically tie up all heavy
metals in the soil forming insoluble compounds that are now no longer
available to the plant roots; and also neutralize pollutants and acids
resulting from industial pollution falling from the sky, both as dust
and as
a part of the acid rain into insoluble non plant available salts.

This is due partly as a result of the particle size of the hydrated lime
(generally 90% minus 300 mesh, down to sub micron sizes)......and the
reactive chemical reactions resulting from the hydroxide form of lime.

Limestone particles quickly form outer insoluble shells of acid products,
such as calcium sulfate and the remaining core of the limestone particle is
no longer available.

Here is a paper I wrote about the viablility of the uses of hydrated lime:

Regards,

Harry

The Importance of Maintaining a Balance in Nature
The Role of Calcium Hydroxide
Harry L. Francis
Consultant
March 10, 1998

We are seeing a tremendous outbreak of old and new diseases throughout the
world, with diseases that were under control, rebounding with biocidal
resistant strains. These outbreaks are disturbing as more and more
medicines
seem to no longer work. The underlying fear is that we will experience a
world wide epidemic of a size and virulence, previously unknown.. This is
mainly due to the quick transportation of infected persons and animals
throughout the world. Many infected persons, animals and insects can be
transported and infect others long before they are determined to be sick.

Throughout history, man has been rather isolated, and when a disease became
virulent, the spread was mainly isolated to the tribe. Survivors acquired
immunity to the disease, and the weaker people and animals died.
Occasionally
uninfected peoples were decimated by the visits of travelers, such as
sailors
visiting the New World for the first time. Diseases unknown to the sailors
were acquired with devastating results. The same was true for the natives.
Neither had acquired immunity to the "new" diseases.

Now at the end of the 20th Century, we have studied many epidemics
throughout
recorded man's history. From the black death, tuberculosis, flu of all
kinds,
cholera, etc., till today we have most diseases under control in the
developed world. However, because of the ease and quickness of
transportation
we can easily spread diseases to all corners of the world within hours.
Many
in the populations of the world have little or no immunization due to
lack of
inoculation, or the fact that "that kind of disease" has not been known in
their part of the world for years; and therefore few even recognizes the
symptoms.

Let us explore the "Natural Balance" theory. It appears that germs, virus,
etc., are all around us, and that over the millenniums humans and animals
have developed immunity to most of these - as long as we remain healthy.
This
is how our species and other species have survived the constant  struggle
that every life form experiences.

If we eliminate one species of animal, bacteria, virus, etc., then the
other
bacteria, virus, animals that kept the species in balance , literally
explodes, creating problems in the environment. Out of Balance, nature
can no
longer support the species, and it perishes.

The excessive use of chlorinated hydrocarbon and other exotic pesticides
since about 1940 has had a dramatic effect on this balance. Rachael Carlson
explored this issue in "Silent Spring". She was correct about DDT and we
are
still suffering from the use of this material. In fact it is still being
used
in some third world countries as we try to survive. Often,  short term ,
quick solutions ( while sometimes necessary ) are detrimental in the long
run. This is what appears to be happening in the world today. One can
make a
case for  "Out of Balance" nature. However, this "Out of Balance" condition
may be recoverable with some fairly simple actions.
Simple, for such a complex problem? Well let's explore some history and
recent actions we have taken to exploit the earth.

Before the turn of the century, most all agricultural liming and
fertilizing
was accomplished with animal and natural manures. We let fields lay fallow
for alternate years, then plowed under the organic matter as fertilizer. If
the soil was still sour to the taste, the farmer burned and applied some
lime.  Limestone or shells were piled onto layers of fuel - mainly  wood -
and set on fire. When the fire was out, the farmer poured water onto the
pile
of burnt lime  and ashes, forming hydrated lime (calcium hydroxide) and
potash fertilizer. This fertilizer was applied to the soil at about two
bushels to the acre. Not only did it supply the necessary nutrients to the
soil, but it also partially sterilized the soil, controlling the insects,
bacteria, virus and fungi - providing the necessary "Balance". Lime and
potash will not kill all the soil organisms, but will effectively
control the
excess. The residuals are not toxic to man or beast, or bird or plant, but
are effective in controlling the undesirable organisms.

Recent studies published in Pan America, by the World Heath Organization,
show that calcium hydroxide is effective in eliminating test patches of
cholera. Research by EPA, 1967, shows that almost all pathogenic
bacteria and
virus can be eliminated from waste water sludges with the application of
lime. Recent work by Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio, Texas shows
that all bacteria, virus and fungi tested are decimated by the high pH of
Calcium Hydroxide, yet remains non-toxic to higher life forms and humans.

Excess use of fertilizers and pesticides have almost destroyed our
environment. The Chesapeake Bay is almost dead, infested with fisteria; the
Mississippi River has been declared dead due to excessive fertilizer and
animal waste runoff. Our environment is "Out of Balance". In an effort to
force high levels of crops, we have fed the plants, not the soil. As Neal
Kinsey points out in his book "Hands on Agronomy", we must learn to feed
the
soil, putting it back in balance. The proper balanced soil will best
feed the
plant for a continual lifetime. This is probably  true for animals and
humans
- we should be feeding the gut, and let a healthy gut feed the body.

As mentioned earlier, about the turn of the century, we created machines
that
could grind limestone to a small enough particle size so that it was
effective in adjusting the pH of our farm soils. Because it was cheaper
than
"burnt" lime, Government agents recommended it over the chemical burnt
lime(calcium oxide and hydroxide). Limestone will adjust the pH, but has no
effect on the soil particle structure or does it have any disinfection
action, as does hydrated lime (Calcium Hydroxide). Was the 1918 flu
epidemic
due to  the upset of the Natural Balance, due to the elimination of
hydrated
lime as a fertilizer and liming agent?  Did this lack of a control
(hydrated
lime) allow nature to become out of balance? Are we continuing to suffer
with
new outbreaks ?

Hydrated lime, both dolomitic and high calcium, agglomerate the clay soil
particles, improving the tilth (breathing) of the soil, and because of the
larger particle size and elimination of the "hard pan", the soil is less
likely to erode - both from water and air. The particles are sand size
instead of dust size. Thus the  larger particle size helps to prevent air
erosion, and spread of the pathogens. It also absorbs water to a greater
extent. The disinfection action on virus, bacteria, fungus,  and the supply
of calcium and magnesium nutrients, all have a beneficial effect in
achieving
a" Natural Balance".

A world wide effort to again utilize what nature has offered us - Lime,
instead of continuing dependence on excessive fertilizers and toxic
pesticides, may allow us to survive  as  a species.   Researchers are urged
to experiment with Calcium Hydroxide and new formulations such as are being
developed by Southwest Research Institute (Dr. Bill Mallow), toward the
control of bacteria and virus. Dr. Mallow is producing a polymer modified
paint based on calcium hydroxide - that maintains its pH of about 12, for
over four years. All virus, molds, and bacteria tested have been
decimated on
contact to the painted surface. The use of this material along with
hydrated
lime in farming, water treatment, sewage treatment and agricultural liming,
may be the "simple" and natural answer for which we are all striving -
and at
a much lower economic and environmental cost.

The Brazilian Lime Industry informs  me that in Brazil, lime slurry is used
to paint the lower two meters of trees in the wet lands. This lime wash
kills
the larva of the mosquitos which cause dengue fever and malaria. The trees
must be painted on a regular basis as the lime quickly carbonates and loses
its effectiveness as the pH is lowered below about 11. The lime based paint
being developed by Dr. Mallow at Southwest Research Institute just might be
the answer. It may also be the answer to controlling virus containing rat
droppings, swine waste, and avian virus.

XXX
I encourage you to consider this information carefully.  I encourage you to
act before we have the world wide outbreak of which we all fear. I would be
pleased to discuss this issue with you and to help in simple experiments to
evaluate the use and effectiveness of hydrated lime in maintaining a
"Natural
Balance." - Harry L. Francis 2851 Sarver Rd, Elliston, Va. 24087 -ph/fax
540-268-2307

*Rachael Carlson - "Silent Spring"
*"Bactericidal Effect of Hydrated Lime in Aqueous Solution", Carlos
Munoz, in
  Pan America.
*" The Use of Reclaimed Water and Sludge in Food Crop Production"- National
Research Council Report, 2/28/96.Committee on the use of Treated Municipal
Wastewater Effluents and Sludge in the Production of Crops for Human
Consumption, Albert L. Page, PH.D. (Chair), University of California,
Riverside.
*"Stabilization of Sewage Sludges (Bio-Solids) with Alkaline Earth
Materials
(Lime): Meeting EPA 503 Regulations and Producing Products Acceptable to
the
Public", Harry L. Francis, 1997 (un-published).
*"Effecto biocida del hidroxido de calcio Ca(OH)2 y la importancia de su
utilizacion en la agricultura",published by Associacion Nacional de
Fabricantes de cal, A.C. (Mexican Lime Association), por: Ing. Edgar Larrea
Reynoso; QFB Gabriela E. Ruiz Gutierrez; Biol. Ma.Beatriz Jimenez Vargas.
*Nature's Own Pooper- Scoopers Keep Earth Liveable for all of us.,
Smithsonian., June 97, David G. Holzman
*"Development of Lime Paint Offers New Weapon in Antimicrobial Arsenal",
Paint & Coatings Industry, October 97, covers the development by Dr.
William
Mallow.
*Background data- research on the effectiveness of lime based paint,
Results:
(bacteria, virus, fungi)- unpublished - Dr. William Mallow, SRI, San
Antonio,
TX.
*"Hoovers' Water Supply & Treatment", twelfth edition, pg 96-99, by
Nicholas
Pizza, Lake County Department of Utilities, Plainesville, Ohio,
published by