Cob: how to clean oil barrels?

Matthew HALL(SED) M.Hall at shu.ac.uk
Thu Oct 17 13:35:58 CDT 2002

hoffp at mail.rockefeller.edu writes:
>>Anna asked (snipped)
>>question:  how do i get rid of the oil that is in the drums?
>mechanic said, "oh just rinse them with gasoline".........but what
>would i do with that?????

Hi Anna,
If you rinse them out with gasoline you will need to pour the contents into a sealed container
(i.e. plastic + screw cap) and take it to a disposal point. Sometimes car spares shops have this
facility, if not then the local rubbish tip shiould have one. Alternatively, you could ask a few
local valeters if they are prepared to steam clean them for you. Hope this helps. I had a similar
problem with cleaning out one of my petrol tanks that somebody filled with sand (long story...)!!!
Steam cleaning works well with this.
Cheers
Matthew

Matthew Hall BSc (Hons) GradBEng