Cob: Earthen Building in Thailand (part 2) (fwd)

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Sun Nov 17 12:41:58 CST 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 01:36:57 -0800 (PST)
From: janell kapoor <janellkapoor at yahoo.com>
Subject: Earthen Building in Thailand (part 2)

Below you will find details about natural building
projects (some are new) happening this winter in
Thailand. Please pass this on to other interested
people, calendars and listserves.

Greetings from Siam,

We are glad you are coming. We ask that you read the
following message carefully so that you'll be well
prepared for your time here. From the mud, a hearty
welcome awaits you.

Janell Kapoor
Co-organizer/US Contact
janell at kleiwerks.com
www.kleiwerks.com

Below you will find the following information:
What to Expect
Your Role
Contributions
What to Bring
Interfaith Solidarity Forest Walks
Chiang Mai University
Self-Reliant Network
Wongsanit Ashram
Joe's Organic Farm
International Children's Festival
Vipassana Center
South India- Buddha Smiles
Village Fund
For More Information

WHAT TO EXPECT
The sponsoring organizations are dedicated to working
at a grassroots level. The following projects are
designed to help local communities and spiritual
centers with the intention of creating models of
sustainable living. Each project is an opportunity to
learn and experience community together. We will work
with adobe, wattle and daub, cob, bamboo, thatch,
earthen plasters and finishes. Participants will
include students, villagers, activists, monks,
artists, architects, government workers, researchers
and foreigners.

YOUR ROLE
We are glad you'll be joining us AND we'd like to ask
you to consider the question: "Why you are flying
across the world to participate in a sustainable
endeavor when you can, most likely, learn earthen
building much closer to home?" We'd like you to
consider the huge amount of energy used to come to
Thailand -- think of the jet fuel alone. Especially
because of this, we encourage you to take what you
learn in Thailand and find ways to share it when you
return home. We are a growing movement and each of us
has some role to play in creating the world we'd like
to live in. Think of how you can incorporate your
experience and carry it forward. Perhaps you can
document the process and do community or school
presentations (video or slides are good for this),
teach others what you learned, offer hands-on
workshops, raise money for the projects in Thailand or
for people to do this work in your area. It is
important for each of us to do our part, whatever our
part may be. During our time together we can discuss
these possibilties.

CONTRIBUTIONS
There is a suggested sliding scale of $300-$800 for
each project. If you cannot pay the low end, please
contact us. Our policy is that no one will be turned
away for lack of funds AND we ask that you give, or
raise, what money you can for the project. Your
contribution will help cover the food and lodging as
well as scholarships for Thai villagers, students and
activists. Any leftover money will support our team's
travel costs and basic expenses so that we can keep
doing similar projects.

REGISTRATION
Please send your $100 non-refundable registration
deposit signed to "Janell Kapoor" c/o East-West
Cultural Organization, 57 Clearwater Drive,
Willingboro, NJ 08046, USA. When all deposits are
received they will be sent in one lump sum to
Thailand. We are doing it this way so that each of you
do not have to hassle with international money orders.
Once you have sent your deposot it is IMPORTANT to
send a message with your contact information, which
projects you are attending and your arrival date to
janell at kleiwerks.com.

ROLLING PARTICIPATION
People will be coming and going throughout the
projects. Anyone is welcome at any time. Late
registration is no problem.

VISA
Upon arrival at the Bangkok Airport you'll be given a
one month visa. If you plan to stay longer you can get
a longer visa from your Thai Consulate before coming.

WHAT TO BRING
-tent
-bedding & sleeping pad
-light-weight clothes
-salve, sunscreen, sunhat
-cash, not travellers cheques (we suggest changng
money at the airport; banks/atms can be few and far
between)
-camera, flashlight, musical instruments, notebook,
toiletries, towel, water bottle
-photos/info of your home, art, community, etc.
-an object to offer/embed in one of the structures
-the remainder of your contribution (in baht or
dollars, not traveller's cheques)

INTERFAITH SOLIDARITY FOREST WALKS: IN SUPPORT OF THE
HILLTRIBE PEOPLE OF NORTHERN THAILAND
December 3-11, 2002 and December 28-January 5, 2003
We highly recommend these walks especially if you are
involved with sustainable living, indigenous people's
support, community and permaculture. If you'd like to
register there is still room for a few more folks. The
cost is a fixed $500 for westerners. For more
information visit www.sulak-sivaraksa.org. To register
please contact ashram at cscoms.com.

CHIANG MAI UNIVERSITY: BUILDING A CRAFT MUSEUM
(12 hours North of Bangkok)
December 2-11, 2002
We will be building a big craft museum on the
university's campus. The building has been designed by
a collaborative team of students, artists and
architects and will serve as a model for the
surrounding area.
DIRECTIONS: Chiang Mai is a 12 hour train ride north
of Bangkok. From the Chiang Mai train station take a
"songtaiwl" (2 bench pick-up truck) to "Ho Sil
La Pa" ('Art Museum') at Chaing Mai University. It is
near "Kaard Pa-Yom" market and takes about 15-30
minutes, depending on traffic. It should cost 100 baht
if you come alone; 10-20 baht with a group. Once you
get to the museum follow signs to registration, which
starts at 9am on the 2nd.
NOTE: For this workshop you can sleep in a big common
room or bring a tent for more privacy; camping is on
the campus.

SELF-RELIANT NETWORK: BUILDING A COMMUNITY CENTER
Chaiyaphum and Nong Bua Lampoo (near Mekong River,
Laos)
December 15-27, 2002 (arrive the night before)
'SantiAsoka,' which translates into 'Shanti Ashok' or
'Peace Happiness,' is a spiritual movement based in
Buddhist principles of simple, natural living, service
and a gifting economy. They have been establishing
communities throughout Northern Thailand which are
similar to the old ways of Thai village life. We will
work with them learning about self-reliance and
permaculture systems. We will build a residence in a
3-year-old community and then travel to a newer
community where we will construct a community center.
The 2nd site is very new with basic amenities.
Participants are asked to refrain from smoking and
drinking. Women and men sleep separately, unless
coupled.
DIRECTIONS: Our group will meet at 6pm on the 14th in
Keang Kro. From Bangkok's Northern Bus Station
('Morchit') take the old line ('sai kaow') morning bus
to Keang Kro in the Chiayaphum Province. Buses from
Bangkok towards Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, and Nong Khai
all route this way (about 6 hours). You can also take
a bus to Chiayaphum City and then take a local bus or
'songthaiwl' to Keang Kro. Meet at the bus station
ticket office which has a TV and bakery and is on the
main street. It's a small local office opposite where
buses stop and is just south down the road from where
'songthaiwls' stop. If you have difficulty finding
this office, just ask for the 'bus station to
Bangkok.' It is NOT the unused bus station north of
town. If you get to Keang Kro early there's an
internet shop and marketplace to explore. Mobile
telephone contact: (Joe) 01.470.1461

WONGSANIT ASHRAM: BUILDING A COMMUNTIY CENTER
1 hour north of Bangkok
January 9-14, 2003
We will work on the big earthen Community Center at
Wongsanit Ashram, a 20-acre activist hub and training
ground for the 'Spirit in Education Movement.' Home of
the Grassroots Leadership Trainings, Natural building
in Thailand and many other endeavors, Wongsanit has
been around for over 20 years. Last year the ashram
hosted Kleiwerks for the first International Earthen
Building Training in Siam. This year we will help
complete another large structure which will serve as
their community meeting hall.
DIRECTIONS: From the Bangkok Airport take a taxi
toward Ongkarak or Nakorn Nayok. You will pass Rangsit
and 'Future Park.' Continue on Rt. 305 (about 40
minutes or so) to "Klong Sip Haa" (canal 15). Just
before "Klong Sip Haa" you will see a sign for
Wongsanit Ashram. Make a left. Go about 4km. The road
will make a sharp right. Follow this and go about
another block's worth. You will see another 'Wongsanit
Ashram' sign. On your right take the small path from
the road to the canal and use the little pulley raft
at the bottom of the stairs to cross the canal. The
drive takes about an hour and costs 400-500 baht. You
can also look at www.sulak-sivaraksa.org for a map.
You can also take a green-striped local bus from the
'Future Park' as far as 'Klong Sip Haa'-- from there
you can hire a motorcycle/songthaiwl. If you come this
way it will cost about 250 baht total. Telephone
number: 037.333.18324

JOE'S ORGANIC FARM: BUILDING AND FINISHING WORK
(Sritan Village, Yasathon; 7-8 hours east of Bangkok)
January 16-25, 2003
Join us at Joe's Organic Farm (see 'project photos' at
www.kleiwerks.com). We will build a small home and use
earthen plasters, paints and decorative bottlework to
finish the community building that was started last
year. Joe's place is in a traditional Thai village
which has pioneered cooperative models for organic
farms and crafts. His farm models permaculture and
living harmoniously with the land.
DIRECTIONS: The easist way to get to Joe's is to join
our group travel. We will go by van, leaving from
Wongsanit Ashram at 9am on the 15th. For directions to
Wongsanit see details above. If you will not go with
us by van please contact janell at kleiwerks.com for
further directions to Joe's. Joe's Mobile phone:
01.470.1461

(the following is not a natural building project)
3RD GLOBAL COMMUNITY GATHERING AND INTERNATIONAL
CHILDREN'S FESTIVAL
Moo Baan Dek (5 hours north of Bangkok)
January 31 - February 11, 2003
For more information contact sea.annica at juno.com or
visit www.idec2003.com.

VIPASSANA CENTER: BUILDING A MEDITATION HOUSE
Nakorn Sawan Province, (about 4 hours north of
Bangkok)
February 15-24, 2003
Luong Pu Yai is one of Southeast Asia's leading
Vipassana masters. He has been living on the top of a
big hillside with outstanding views for about 50
years, which is where we will build a 2-story
meditation house. He will be giving Vipassana
teachings as well.
DIRECTIONS: Email ashram at cscoms.com

SOUTH INDIA-
BUDDHA SMILES: BUILDING A MODEL SCHOOL
Tamil Nadu, South India
February 25- March 7, 2003
Building a school for children with the non-profit
group, "Buddha Smiles." More details will be posted at
www.kleiwerks.com when we have them. For more
information you can also email
ramu_manivannan at hotmail.com or ashram at cscoms.com

VILLAGE FUND
Mun Yeun Village is a self-reliant community in the
making (see www.kleiwerks.com or
www.sulak-sivaraksa.org). It is being built by
villagers (and friends) who have chosen to create a
model of sustainable living, after they were flooded
off their land because of a dam project. During their
initial several years of struggle most of the
villagers went into debt because they were occupied
with big demonstrations at the Parliament, and not
able to make money. They became one of the highest
profile people's movements in the region, with
thousands of other villagers and farmers joining in
support. Now they are living with only the basics, as
they rebuild their community...the first earthen and
intentionally self-reliant village in Thailand.
Collectively they are more than $25,000 in debt. If
you'd like to make a cash contribution to help the Mun
Yeun Community please sign checks to: "Vijay Kapoor"
c/o East-West Cultural Organization, 57 Willingboro,
NJ 08046, USA. Put 'Mun Yeun' in the memo. 100% of
your contribution will be tranferred to the Mun Yeun
Community.

FOR MORE INFORMATION
Janell Kapoor, US Contact/Co-organizer
janell at kleiwerks.com; www.kleiwerks.com
(Note: I will be checking email about once a week.)
   -OR-
Wongsanit Ashram, Thai Contact/Organizing Team
ashram at cscoms.com; www.sulak-sivaraksa.org