Cob: Using Bricks While Building With Cob

Robert Waldrop rmwj at soonernet.com
Fri Dec 6 09:34:11 CST 2002

Being in Oklahoma City, I have been following this thread with
interest as I think this is the closest cob building project to
Oklahoma City that I have heard about.  I have no experience with cob,
only what I've read, but I have a thought about your wood burning
stove and the trailer house.  You are right to be concerend about
fire, but a wood burning stove can be safely installed in a trailer
house, and I know many people who heat with wood and live in mobile
homesand have doneso for many years.  The thing is that as with any
wood stove installation, it must be done safely.  In particular, the
triple walled stove pipe must be used to go through the ceiling/roof,
it must be a sufficient distance from the wall or fireboard or brick
has to be used on the wall to protect it, and it should sit on a layer
of bricks.

I am also interested in your project because it is a true bootstrap
project, we don't have much money ourselves and all the people we work
with are in similar situations and we are very interested in low cost
do it yourself building projects.

I could also recommend a couple of listservs of regional interest,
Okie straw bales at yahoo groups, and retrofit, also at yahoo groups,
which is about retrofitting trailer houses in a more sustainable
direction, including wrapping them in strawbales and putting better
roofs on them.   The retrofit idea is interesting to me because a lot
of people in this part of the country live in trailer houses, and by
wrapping them in strawbales and putting in a better roof, they become
a much more comfortable and energy efficient dwelling, and you don't
have to hire the work like plumbing and electrical done because it is
already there in the trailer house core.

I think that you are right that strawbale is more expensive than cob
for a do it yourself project building an entire house from scratch
project, however.  In the meantime, we will send warm thoughts and
prayers your way.  We have an old house in OKC that we are working to
retrofit with super insulation, but in the meantime, we keep warm with
two small propane heaters and believe me they are not central heat and
with our lack of insulation, it gets pretty nippy in here when we turn
them off at night.  We make insulating curtains for our windows (using
two layers of blankets with a layer of mylar in between, aluminum foil
would also work), and it's so cold this morning I'm thinking, "we
should hang blankets over the walls too".

Robert Waldrop, http://www.bettertimesinfo.org
Oscar Romero Catholic Worker House