Cob: soil tests

Matthew HALL(SED) M.Hall at shu.ac.uk
Wed Dec 11 11:53:13 CST 2002

ap615 at hotmail.com writes:
>The Hand Sculpted House mentions testing for enough sand by how it sounds
>when you squeeze a handful next to your ear.  In addition to how it cracks
>or doesn't crack. That's the first aural test I've heard of, and I do like
>the idea of using all our senses.

Have you read 'Earth construction: a comprehensive guide' by Houben & Guillaud? There are all sorts
of these 'field' tests described in there, some sensory-type ones as well.

There is, for example, one that allows you to discern between different particle sizes by
tasting/chewing!

According to the 'taste' test...sand goes 'crunch' with a 'disagreeable sensation, silt smooth and
is not disagreeable, whilst clay is like flour and no abrasive sensation can be felt.

>From an engineering point of view, we (in the UK) classify soil particle sizes as follows:
Sand = 2mm - 63microns
Silt = 63microns - 2 microns
Clay = less than 2 microns