Cob: Re: Tie Downs

Frances Grill grill at vtc.net
Fri Dec 13 10:22:20 CST 2002

Greetings Kim, Concerning your tie-downs, at the risk of being redundant since it would seem someone  has already mentioned "all thread", have you considered running threaded rod up through the wall in several places to bolt your rafter and a modified top plate to? It is easy to get left over bits of rebar from construction sites then weld the bits together with a 16inch piece of threaded rod at the top. I used 5/8ths all thread on a rammed earth house in Brazil and it is still doing quite well after 23 years. No known problems with the rebar and all thread rusting either. Scraps of lumber could be recycled for sections of top plate to rest your rafters on and to spread the weight of the roof over a larger area of the wall (see Becky Bee) then you could bolt the top plate to the threaded rod and the rafter to the top plate. Good to go. Luck, PAZ,Pedro