Cob: Re: glass windows. I do love the book too.

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 19 20:15:58 CST 2002

Ah. In my '88 truck all they had to do to get the back glass back in (after
it shattered for who-knew-what reason) was play around with the rubber
gasket.  In the front, there is a gasket, but the whole mess is glued in as
well.  But seems like it's easier to get in than out, from what some salvage
yard guys told me once.  Depending on which way it came in, compressing the
gasket from the other side and pushing the gasket and therefore the glass
out (without ending up with a pile of little pieces of not-very-sharp glass,
which is pretty easy to do.)

The very slanted back glass, on especially a hatchback, might be put in the
same way the windshield is.  I could look in the morning.

A friend who wanted a sliding back window in the truck would be a good
source for a flat back window.  My guess is you try hard NOT to cut one.

BTW heard about a study that suggests that during tornado weather, a real
shelter (or safe room) is best, but cars are better than trailers, and
possibly better--more comfortable anyway--than the ditch.  Things like
safety glass are a part of it.

Kim wondered, in response to Charmaine's suggestion:

Speaking of windshields--is there a way to cut the glass from cars, or do
you have to use them as is? Will a regular old glass cutter work on them?
They are doubled with tough plastic in between! Anyone here know?

Charmaine wrote:
[snip]

  some car guys told me
back windshields are