Cob: Cob insulation idea

Myra Bonhage-Hale lapaix at iolinc.net
Thu Dec 26 10:28:04 CST 2002

Hi, just wanted to tell you all about the Natural Home magazine Jan.Feb/2003
issue which  has an article in it "Bending the Grid".  pp. 52-58.  More
information on www.cityrepair.org.  It is an interesting article combining
the value of building community in urban neighborhoods with a cob type
structure as a focus.  I quote from the article,
"Cob, however, is a mediocre insulator with a low R-value per inch.  On cool
days, heat from within bleeds steadily outward.  To circuvent this, City
Repair designed a double shell; two six-inch walls of cob sepaated by eight
inches of insulating straw.  On each side of the straw is a wattle wall -
flexible sticks woven into a solid barrier-to hold back the cob.  This makes
for a thick wall, twenty two inches through.

The roof is eually innovative.  Above two-by-six rafters salvaged from
shipping palletes lies a polyvinyl chloride (PVC) membrane (PVC offers the
best protection against leaks buts it manufacture produces toxins.  Other
options include liquid asphalt or a rubber membrane.)  Atop this is a living
roof of sedum and other drought-tolerant plants which can withstand
Portland's often dry summers.  Rains trickles trough the greenery, down
bamboo gutteres, and into a set of sculptural ponds that hold water for the
garden.  This reduces pressure on both Portland's water supply and its
overtaxed storm-drain system.

The design is passive solar.  Ample south facing windows-all salvaged-"

The web site for Natural Home magazine is www.naturalhomemagazine.com.
These are very comitted  people, who supported West Virginia's Sustainable
Fair in 2001.  Back issues are also available.  Namaste.  Myra