Cob: encouragement, please...

Miranda miranda at clearlightsoap.com
Mon Dec 30 21:30:12 CST 2002

Hi folks,

Ahh, I could use some encouragement.  I've been reading the wonderful
"Building with Earth" that I bought from Charmaine, and realizing just how
hard it's going to be.

I have lately been thinking of building an earthbag house, because I
thought it might help me circumvent some of my financial
difficulties--foundation and roof!  If everything can be built of gravel or
earth in bags, then this is a lot cheaper and more within my skill range
than pouring cement or figuring out roof geometry.

Somehow I'd been picturing the bags as being smaller, more manageable, more
like, say, the bags of potting soil that I am well capable of lifting.

But they're not.  Even the "small" bags are bigger and stuffed full, look
like they weigh about 60 pounds or so.  I have a steel rod in my back; I
can't lift 60 pounds for more than a moment or two, and certainly not all day.

No problem!  One person hands up the earth a bit at a time, and the other
one or two fills the bag up on the wall.

But I'm all alone!

I know I can do this.  Somehow.  <sigh>

Guess I better look for friends...

Encouragement welcomed.